"This Moroccan slow cooker dish is the perfect blend of sweetness and spice."
Apricots, ginger, cinnamon, and cumin give this slow-cooked chicken and vegetable dinner a savory and sweet Moroccan flavor.”
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 1 eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes
* 2 large onions, thinly sliced
* 4 large carrots, thinly sliced
* 1/2 cup dried cranberries
* 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
* 2 cups chicken broth
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons garlic salt
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 cup water
* 1 cup couscous
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place the chicken pieces and eggplant in the heated oil; stir and cook until the chicken is browned on all sides but not cooked through. Remove the skillet from the heat.
2. Place the browned chicken and eggplant on the bottom of a slow cooker. Layer the onion, carrots, dried cranberries, and apricots over the chicken.
3. Whisk together the chicken broth, tomato paste, lemon juice, flour, garlic salt, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, and ground black pepper in a bowl. Pour the broth mixture into the slow cooker with the chicken and vegetables.
4. Cook on High setting for 5 hours, or on Low setting for 8 hours.
5. Bring water to boil in a saucepan. Stir in couscous, and remove from heat. Cover, and let stand about 5 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
Nutritional Information open nutritional information
Amount Per Serving Calories: 387 | Total Fat: 15.4g | Cholesterol: 66mg