Eat this dish every New Year's day, it's supposed to bring you luck. It's also good anytime you need a hearty homey meal!
* 1 1/2 cups dry black-eyed peas
* 1 pound ham hocks
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* salt and pepper to taste
* 4 cups water
* 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
* 1 cup shredded smoked Cheddar cheese
1. In a large pan place the peas, ham hock, onion, red pepper, salt and pepper. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
2. Remove ham hock and cut meat into pieces. Return meat to pot. Stir in the rice, cover and cook until rice is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle shredded cheese over top, if desired. Serve
Nutritional Information open nutritional information
Amount Per Serving Calories: 888 | Total Fat: 34.5g | Cholesterol: 107mg