Chicken would be fried early in the morning or night before, then placed in the oven to finish while at church, then served for Sunday lunch. It is the best fried chicken around!
Prep Time: 15 Min
Cook Time: 1 Hr 20 Min
Ready In: 9 Hrs 35 Min
* 1 (3 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
* 2 quarts buttermilk
* 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®)
* 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
* 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
* 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon ground dried sage
* 1 tablespoon paprika
* 1 tablespoon garlic powder
1. Rinse the chicken, and cut the chicken breast halves in half horizontally to make 10 pieces in all. Pat the chicken pieces dry with paper towels. Combine the buttermilk, hot pepper sauce, and garlic in a large plastic zipper bag. Add the chicken pieces, and squeeze the air out of the bag, close it, and refrigerate overnight.
2. The next day, preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a large, deep-sided skillet over medium heat until the oil shimmers but doesn't smoke. Whisk together the flour, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, sage, paprika, and garlic powder in a large bowl. Remove 2 or 3 pieces of chicken at a time from the buttermilk mixture, and press into the flour mixture until well coated. Shake off excess flour.
4. Fry 2 or 3 pieces of coated chicken at a time in the hot oil until the crust is golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes (chicken meat may still be pink inside). Drain on paper towels, and place into a 9x13-inch baking dish.
5. Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
The nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the marinade and breading ingredients. The actual amount of the breading consumed will vary. We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 514 | Total Fat: 20g | Cholesterol: 74mg